- How fast is the coronavirus spreading and how can we slow it down?
- What makes people sick? Certain genes? Certain behavior? Other determinants?
- How do we best diagnose diseases? What are the consequences of a disease?
- Is an effective medicine also effective when used in daily practice? How is it used?
As an epidemiologist you learn to formulate an answer to these questions. Epidemiology is the discipline which studies the occurrence of health related events and conditions in populations and attempts to make links to predictive and/or influencing characteristics. It does not focus on diagnosis and treatment, but on the factors influencing the infection and on the way diseases spread. As a result, epidemiology is closely related to the field of public health.
Epidemiologists have become indispensable in:
- the design, performance and analysis of applied medical scientific research
- the application of medical scientific knowledge in the development of public health policy
The University of Antwerp’s Master of Epidemiology is unique in Flanders.